Monday, September 21, 2015

Firefox freezing on linux (x2go)

Not scripting related however:
I am using x2go to access my linux (ubuntu) system remotely, using the kdeWM.  If I use firefox though, the moment I right click anywhere on a web page (say to open a link in a new tab or window), firefox freezes.

Turns out it's an issue with the pulse audio daemon, and at least if you're using x2go like me, it's easy to fix once you know what the problem is.

When disconnected from your linux server, in the x2go client, go into the session preferences, click on the Media tab -> and uncheck "Enable sound support".   Selecting esd might also fix it, but I haven't tried that.

Many thanks to the comment by oms-ubun at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/528798  for directing me to the issue.




1 comment:

  1. Just had this problem while using a raspberry pi as x2go client (Debian as server); In my case, I also messed around with my local sound settings for installing a speaker, disabling sound through x2go solved it for me!

    Posting in case this come as a search for raspberry + x2go sound problems.

    ReplyDelete